The temple before excavation
|Location||Ma'rib Governorate, Yemen|
|Excavation dates||1951-2, 1988|
The temple is located to the west of Awwam temple, also dedicated to the god Almaqah. The main features of the structure are the six columns and the sacred well in the middle of the courtyard. Previously only five columns were known to exist, until 1988 excavations, when remains of another pillar were discovered. The temple is considered to be the largest pre-Islamic temple in Yemen.
It was partly excavated by Wendell Phillips' expedition of 1951–1952. In addition to its religious functions the complex may have also served as a documentation center, as the inscriptions describing the events surrounding the Sabaean state were found on the walls.
- "معبد برَّان.. هنا عاشت بلقيس سبأ". Culture and art. Al Jazeera. 24 March 2014.
- "The Throne of Queen Bilquis". National Yemen. Ancient History Comes Alive. 11 September 2014.
- "Barran Temple". Madain Project. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Yemen Tourism". Archived from the original on 17 October 2018. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "Arsh Bilqis" بـلـقـيـس [Throne of Queen Bilquis] (pdf). Yemen Tourism Promotion Board. Barran Temple (in Arabic and English). Republic of Yemen: Ministry of Tourism. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 16 October 2018.